Skeet’s Beat – Survival at Harris Chain Grinding out a top 25

Strike King
Bucks Falcon Mercury
Power Pole
Bucks Skeeter Yamaha
Lews Fishing

SkeetBlogI’d like to say that my Harris Chain experience could be called “Survival of the Fittest,” but; honestly, it was all about survival.

Before I get too far; I want to say congratulations to my Dick’s Sporting Good and TroKar teammate Shaw Grigsby; he’s one of the truly nice guys on tour, and to see him pull out a victory like that was really cool.

Also, to Grant Goldbeck; you had an amazing three days; the best of any of us, and while the first day didn’t work out, you did an amazing job.

My practice really did suck; I mean it really was terrible. I spent the first two days fishing, not looking for bedded fish because I thought that the sightfishing bite was pretty much over. Man was I wrong.

The first day and a half of practice only produced a few bites for me and that was when I figured out that I’d better get shallow and look for some spawners. I went looking, and found a couple good ones locked on beds in a little pond, so I left the area.

The next practice day, on Wednesday, I went in there to check on them, and the four pounder I had found was gone, and the five and a half pounder I had found had been prop washed by someone, and she was all spun out, but still there. I went a little further and found an eight and another good one.

I went to the meeting hoping to get a good boat draw out, but when I drew a number in the 90’s, I knew I was screwed.

I fished for a while, with very little to show for it, then decided to go look in the spawning area. I found one four pound male still on a nest, and I caught him; but, all of the others were gone. At first I thought somebody caught them, but nobody did, I guess the storm pushed them all off the nest. I managed to scrape a limit, but when I lost three good ones on a Lucky Craft Gunfish 115 at the end of the day; I came in with a little over 11 pounds and ended up in the 40’s.

I thought that the second day would be tougher, but the fish actually bit better. I caught 13-11 and moved up into the 20’s.

The last day started out rough; I lost five of the first six bites I had early. The fish were biting funny, probably because they were mostly fry guarding males, and I just didn’t land them. I managed to scrape together 10-14, and finished 23rd overall. I feel pretty good to have scraped together enough to have finished in the top 25 after a bad practice, but knowing that I lost the fish that would have put me in the top 12 really sucked.

I caught my fish on two main things this week, I was swimming a worm on a 3/0 TK110 TroKar Wide Gap Worm hook, and 15-pound-test Berkley Trilene 100% Fluorocarbon on my Wright & McGill Co. Skeet Reese Tessera Spinnerbait / Worm rod and Victory 701 reel. I kind of used the worm in a swim / hop motion; swimming it through the water until I got to pockets, then I would let it settle.

The other thing I did was Flip, with my Berkley Havoc Pit Boss in black and blue color on a TroKar TK130 Flipping Hook on my signature 8-foot Flip / Punch rod and 701 Victory reel with 25-pound-test Trilene 100% Fluorocarbon.

I’m here starting to switch gears to the St. John’s River, and because I’ve never been here, I’ve got to admit; it’s an unknown X-Factor right now. I’ll get out there tomorrow and see what I can figure out.

Check out Skeet on the web at